We’ve all seen things trend on the internet. From the infamous facepalm image portraying a frustrated Jean-Luc Picard in Star Trek to audio clips on Instagram or TikTok, it’s hard to avoid these viral sensations. Yet, it’s a lot harder to go viral when you’re talking about a business-to-business (B2B) product or service. It’s not that your products aren’t cool — at Casted, we constantly geek out over B2B companies and the great work they’re doing — it’s more that B2B offerings aren’t designed for the general masses to get excited about.
If that’s the case, then, how are you expected to grow your podcast? With a solid understanding of what you’re after, as well as some tips and tricks and a great podcast marketing platform. Let’s dive in.
What Makes a Podcast Successful?
The number of subscribers is one of the most common metrics that folks use to measure their podcast success. Yet, the best B2B podcasts understand that getting tens of thousands of listeners isn’t necessarily the ultimate goal — it’s more about getting the right audience to tune in and become aware of your brand. Ideally, this would include both current and potential customers that align with your ideal customer profile (ICP). Think about the goal more like growing targeted brand awareness.
When you’re thinking through how to define your podcast’s success, consider more than just expanding your audience. Success might also mean:
- Connecting with potential customers
- Building a community
- Generating X% more leads
- Driving X% more traffic to your website
- Increasing customer engagement by X%
But with all that said, we do have some tips and tricks up our sleeve to help you get more traffic to your podcast.
How Do I Attract More Listeners to My Podcast?
Attracting more listeners or viewers to your podcast is all about creating compelling content, understanding how and where to promote your podcast, and using data to inform your decision-making. Let’s dive into each of these, and more, in greater detail.
- Provide Real Value: People tune in to podcasts for a variety of reasons. One 2019 report found that the top reasons include: to learn new things, to be entertained, to stay up-to-date with the latest topics, to relax, and to feel inspired. In other words, your podcast isn’t the place for a straight sales pitch — save that for your sales team. Instead, focus on how you can provide real value for your listeners and viewers. Offer industry-leading perspectives, share best practices, or bring in guests — anything that empowers you to create engaging, helpful content. When your content is compelling, you’re sure to start getting more and more listeners and viewers.
- Optimize Your Name and Description: When it comes to B2B podcast marketing, it’s important to remember the nuts and bolts. Your podcast episode titles and descriptions need to be optimized to increase the likelihood of attracting new listeners. Of course there’s room to get creative, (we all love beautiful podcast art) but your titles and descriptions should accurately describe what each episode is about. You can also use search engine optimization (SEO) keywords within your descriptions to increase the likelihood that your podcast will show up in organic searches. Optimizations like these can help brand new audiences — and potential customers — find and connect with your business.
- Devise a Social Media Strategy: Chances are, at least some of your target audience spends time on social media. So, it makes sense to use social media to gain more subscribers. For B2B businesses, LinkedIn tends to be the top channel, though Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube may also make sense. Wondering how to promote a podcast on social media effectively? One of the easiest ways to create engaging social media content is to share compelling audio or video clips directly to your social media page(s). With Casted, this process couldn’t be easier. Simply search through auto-generated transcripts, find the content you’d like to share, and automatically create audiograms and videograms that are pre-sized for social media.
- Maintain Consistency: We know that developing a schedule isn’t one of the most creative ways to promote a podcast, but it works! Do you remember tuning in at 7pm every Thursday to watch your favorite show in the days before Netflix and Hulu? While how we consume media has certainly changed, our urge for consistency is still present. When you’re releasing your podcast episodes, set a cadence and stick with it. That might mean releasing weekly, bi-monthly, or monthly — whatever fits your schedule. It’s a good idea to record several episodes ahead of time so you’re not facing a crunch to get an episode out on schedule.
- Let the Data Do the Talking: You can read marketing podcast statistics and tips until you’re blue in the face, but you’ve also got to understand what your audience wants. What resonates with them? What gets them rewinding to really soak up a particularly excellent point? When do they start to tune out? Give your audience more of what they want, and chances are you’ll start gaining more subscribers. With Casted’s Measure feature, you can find insights into how big your audience is, how they found your content, and the player used to consume your content. Not only that, but you can also track data across individual items and episodes to help you understand the most engaging parts of your podcast. And don’t forget, you can also reach out to your listeners and ask for feedback!
Casted: Grow Your B2B Podcast Where It Counts
There's a lot that goes into creating, distributing, marketing, and analyzing a B2B podcast. And, for marketers, there’s also the ever-present hurdle of proving your ROI. That’s where Casted can help. As a B2B-focused podcast marketing platform, Casted gives you the tools you need to grow your audience and meet your sales and customer experience goals. In one simple platform, you can:
- Publish podcasts and videos
- Increase your content ROI
- Truly know your audience
- Search and repurpose content
Ready to see it in action? Sign up for a demo or check out Casted in Three Minutes!